Surprising Household Cleaning Supplies that are Dangerous for Pets


Most people use a variety of cleaning supplies throughout the home, never realizing the potential hazards these products pose to their furry friends. A startling number of common household cleaning products contain chemicals that are harmful to pets. Here is a look at some of the most dangerous chemicals, as well as the surprising places you will find them.

Pine Oil

Pine oil is common in all-purpose cleaners such as Pine Sol. The oil is actually the distilled resin of pine trees. Pine oil is dangerous to dogs, cats and birds. Early symptoms of pine oil poisoning include irritation inside the mouth, drooling and vomiting. It can also cause an upset stomach and a fever. Severe cases of pine oil poisoning can damage the central nervous system and kidneys. Pine oil can also cause lung damage if your pet inhales it.


This chemical is widely recognized as poisonous, leading many pet owners to assume that it doesn’t have many household uses. However, formaldehyde can be found in a variety of products. It is common in laundry detergent, dish soap, furniture polish, body wash and hand soap. Shockingly, it can even be found in Nature’s Miracle and Zodiac pet shampoos. When inhaled, formaldehyde causes asthma in pets, and it is also a known carcinogen in humans and animals.

Glycol Ethers

Glycol ethers are found in carpet cleaners, spot removers and glass cleaners. This chemical can be difficult to spot in cleaning products. Check the labels for “glycol.” Some of the most common glycol ethers are ethylene glycol, propylene glycol and diethylene glycol. This substance can cause anemia, kidney damage and lung damage in dogs and cats.


Most pet owners are aware that ammonia is a dangerous substance. However, they might not realize how common it is among cleaning products. Ammonia is often found in oven cleaners, degreasers, glass cleaners and stainless steel polish. It can cause irritation or burns to mucous membranes, and your pets can develop asthma after inhaling the fumes.

Leave a Reply