You watch as your dog becomes unconscious, perhaps stops breathing, and most likely suffers from legs that go rigid or are paddling in a jerking fashion. He is most likely suffering from a seizure. When your dog is suffering from seizures, it is a terrifying experience for the both of you. One of the first things you can do about seizures is to understand the common causes. Secondly, did you know that there are natural remedies that help treat seizures in dogs? Learn more about the causes and treatments so you are better able to handle this situation.
Common Causes of Dog Seizures
Anytime your dog suffers from a seizure, the first thing you should do is consult his veterinarian for a checkup to ensure there are no other factors contributing to this situation. While only 1 percent of dogs suffering from seizures are epileptic, several other medical situations are related to dog seizures.
Age Related Causes:
- Dogs that are less than 12 months old and that are experiencing seizures typically are also suffering from a bacterial or viral infection.
- Dogs that have reached 7 years of age and that suffer with seizures commonly have an age related illness, such as liver disease or a brain tumor.
- For healthy dogs ages 1 to 7, seizures are normally related to epilepsy.
- The ingestion of poisons, such as chocolate, lead and strychnine, can cause seizures.
- Drop in blood sugar or low blood calcium levels will trigger a seizure.
Natural Treatments for Seizures in Dogs
After you have diagnosed your dog with having seizures, there are natural remedies that can help including:
- Dietary changes
- Herbal remedies, such as mouth drops and supplements
Consider a natural dog seizure treatment in place of a chemically derived anticonvulsant. Prescribed medications, such as Valium, phenobarbital and potassium bromide or Clonazepam, have substantially harsh side effects. Also, these medications do not get to the root of the problem but simply ease the onset and side effects that accompany seizures in dogs. By implementing dietary changes and the holistic remedy of acupuncture, you are able to manage seizures without adding dangerous and toxic drugs to your dog’s diet.