Dogs can develop allergies, just like humans can. Symptoms can be similar as well. However, you do not want to treat your pet’s allergies the same way that you treat yours. Over the counter allergy medicines can be very dangerous and even deadly to your dog. Here are the top 5 at-home remedies that can work for your dog.
- Oatmeal – Add one cup of oatmeal to a tub of warm water. Pour water over your dog’s coat, rubbing in circular motion to work the oatmeal water down to their skin. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and rinse your dog with warm water.
- Apple cider vinegar- Simply put the apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle, gently pull back the fur and spray directly onto the irritated skin.
- Avoid pollen – The best relief is avoiding it as much as possible. However, they will be exposed to some pollen outdoors. When your dog comes in from outside, wipe their face and paws with a damp cloth to wipe off any pollen on their fur.
- Avoid dust – It can irritate allergies in dogs. Vacuuming often and emptying the bag frequently can help, as well as using a dust cloth on surfaces where dust can gather. A good HEPA air filter system can help remove dust also.
- Change out food – If a food allergy is suspected, try a different brand. Making your dog’s food at home is an option many pet owners are turning to recently to ensure what their dogs are eating.
Finding the solution that works for your dog may take some time, but identifying the cause and treatment that works for your pet can bring them relief from the irritating symptoms of allergies.